[复制链接]

系主任

wendy

最佳新人常驻居民名誉版主

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-5-22 07:25:13 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
此文转载   作者: 吴界立STEVEN

Bill Clinton在今年的Clinton Global 峰会说过 "Success is not about how much money you are making, not about how fancy your job title is, rather it's about how much impact you have on the global community and how many people you have helped along the way".
毕业之前,我想把这篇文章献给马大的校友和所有的F-1国际学生们。希望这篇文章能给你传递些许的力量,帮助你找到自己的理想。

-〉 希望大家帮忙分享. 因为我们这代millenials也是可以对社会产生影响力的,而social media是最方便、快捷、cost effective的途径。the more people share this article, the more impact we can have, the more youngins we can empower. together we can make a difference, together we can start a revolution
  ->  This article is still a prototype. 很多viewpoint 有一定的局限性,欢迎大家在comment里留言框里提建议。我会定期更新这个document

【一】
CAREER FAIR
1.    Go to school’s career fair, be prepared.  Conduct research ahead of time specifically for the companies you are really interested in.  For the rest of companies, at least go to their website and know what they do.
2.  You can go to CareerCenter ahead of time to get the brochure (contains all the attending companies information and where each company’s booth is=> you can plan out your route ahead)  This is very helpful because it saves you time(instead of getting the brochure and locate the employers when you arrive)
3.  You can also go to other school’s career fair.
You just have to say that one of the recruiters wanted to meet you and that he/she said you can come in. You'll have to find out the recruiters for that school for the company you're looking at. If anything, just sneak in or ask a student there if they can help you get in – a lot of people are willing to help.
4.  Dress to impress, (have something that would let them remember you), it could be your nice necklace, could be your smile, or fancy hair
【二】
APPLICATION

1.  Utilize other school career center job search engine as well.  (borrow your friend’s account and password)

2.  Consider certain type of certificates, looks good on your resume ( Excel is always a good way to go, ToastMaster Competente Certificate is good too-> check out Hear the Turtle Club on campus, meeting every Friday 2-3 pm at St.marys)

3.  Timing is important. you must plan out and figure out when your employers hire

4. always revise your resume based on the job description,  i revise my resume for each job I apply for
  for example, if a company is looking for a consultant who has good organizational skill, leadership skill, and excel skill,  i will make sure to include these in there.
also, a lot of companies use computer software to screen out applicants based on keywords.
Thus, a way to overcome this: copy and paste the job description into this link (http://www.wordcounter.com/) and find out what keywords show up the most.  Make sure to substitute or add these keywords in your resume

5.In cover letter, disclose that im willing to relocate,  my availability, specific thing that im interested in that company

6. Don’t spend too much time applying on websites like monster.com, focus on using school’s database -> a rule of thumb (spend 70% time using school’s database and reach out to personal network(less competition), and 30% to apply online on company websites or monster.com alike)

7. 不完全符合要求的职位也可以投.

New college graduate has advantage too. We have energy, 另外还有一个原因也是没人说但是我感受到的,就是有经验的人容易跳槽,呆的年限不够长,一旦公司效益不好之类就会跳出去。但是New grad 一般招进去呆的时间比较长,一般学习都要一定时间,再加上绿卡排期的限制,一般四五年都不会跳槽。

8.   About resume: 摘抄
“我刚开始的简历也是把做的比较复杂的project放前面,面试了几轮发现,根本没有人问起过这个project,面试时他们看我的简历,看到这个不熟悉的project就直接跳过了。从此我把果断把不相关project全部删去,拿到的面试反而多了不少。要知道,简历被锯掉最常见和最常见的原因,绝对不是背景不够强,而是没有那么match!match本身就是最重要的砝码,与其用其他含金量高但不那么match的project,不如把match做到极致。有没有internship,没关系,那只是个形式,他们都知道intern也就是那么回事,重要的还是你的做过什么、做过多少和他们工作相关的东西.简历的目的并不只是获得interview,而是interview的重要组成部分!简历在interview中的作用最好能做到:简历上的每一句话都有人问起过,每一个project都会有人感兴趣。以这一点作为准则,无论是对简历本身还是对interview都是很好的帮助。interview其实是改简历最重要的feedback.面试官喜欢问哪些方面,对project中的什么东西最感兴趣,这些其实是变相告诉你,他们最喜欢最感兴趣的就是这些东西,回去之后根据这些feedback改简历,会非常的有用。比如说根本没人问过的project就可以直接删除了,被多人详细问过的project就可以再多写写细节,对于他们感兴趣的关键词可以再多写点儿。比如说project可以不用一个一个的罗列,而是某一类的project全部放在一起总结。比如招人希望招system level的,那我就可以专列一栏叫做”system level projects”,然后把这一类的projects合并在一起。再比如说design的projects放一起,verification的projects放一起,人家一看对你做过的类别和数量一目了然。说了这么半天似乎还是太抽象,就举个简单例子,可以写出HR和招聘人希望看到的project/experience小标题,毕竟写简历和写文章一样,小标题醒目一点效果会好一些。他们要求什么description,就把关键词直接作为project/experience的名字,完全可以当答卷来写。举个例子,比如说description要求会Verilog/C++/Assembly这三门语言,做过门级设计,并且用过某公司的一个叫做0in的工具。那么简历完全可以这么来改:
gate level Project:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Verilog/C++ project:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Project using  tool:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

9. More about resume and cover letter
“less is more”
“brevity is the soul of wit” - Shakespear
“ you want you content to be EASY for them”
“ less is more”

10. 利用linkedin - 摘抄
“On job application: 投简历确实是很花费时间的,每一个职位都要看job description,然后看看简历有没有必要稍微修改下迎合这个职位,然后在官网上一步一步填写资料,提交。虽然说一个职位一个职位的改简历很花费时间,但是看多了job description之后,3~5个version足以应付所有的职位了。如果有人说说觉得能投的位置不多,好像所有的位置都是需要有经验的……
我只能说,我拿到的绝大部分面试和offer都是要求有经验的。你不去试,怎么知道有没有效果呢?只要是跟你经验相关的,怎么就不能投呢?能投多少简历,完全是看自己的主观能动性。要真的说能投的职位不多,至少也得把monster/dice/indeed/linkedin/各大公司官网全部投过才有资格说这个话吧。就算把这些都投遍了,有没有找过各个公司的HR的邮箱毛遂自荐?有没有找最近哪里有大型的校园招聘会?现在业界环境不错,只要真的想去投,只有时间不够用的份儿,不会有能投的位置不多的情况出现。”
Why is linked in so important?  
llinkedin上招人的形式是以“人”为本的,也就是在linkedin上发布职位信息都是以HR的名义发布的,如果不是急需招人,是不会在linkedin上发布职位信息的。所以从这个角度讲,linkedin上会过期的职位很少,因为如果过期了的职位,HR要接收那么多无用的邮件本身就是意见很厌烦的事情。我在linkedin上收到HR回复都是以email的形式,这说明我在linkedin上提交简历也是以email的形式直接进入HR邮箱,别小看这一条,这是质的差距。这意味着,你的简历几乎一定会被HR看到,而不是在官网的数据库或者求职网站数据库遥遥无期的等待HR垂青。
Note: I got my first job offer through a Linkedin Connection!
11. “use two prong appraoch”  find internships and jobs at the same time, whichever comes first!
【三】
INTERVIEW
1. after you get an invitation for interview, congrats! you can follow these strategies below:
  a. find out what type of interviews are they
        i) go to glassdoor.com and search your company
        ii) reach out to recruiter, and find out what type of interviews are they(case, behavioral, mix of both, brain teaser, knowledge, programming test, writing test,etc)
b. research on the company and really understand what they do
     i) research online (google news, company website, glassdoor, hoover)
     ii) reach out to network, current employees(via email, glassdoor, facebook, linkedin) and their products
2. Preparation would make you stand out. 100 questions for behavioral and 500 questions for technical questions as a reference.

3.  Record myself for the interview and listen to it. Video camera, laptop cam, etc.  (i.e. I always put my iphone in the pocket and start recording before I go to an interview. I listen to my interview afterwards and have some professionals listen to it to give me feedbacks)

4.  Reflect back on your experience, Something makes you unique, make sure to talk about it in the interview
      5.You should also communicate and convey the message that you a good understanding of the firm - is particularly important.
answer to why work for us:
Here’s a poor example:
I had a conversation with Sarah Foster, a current case team leader at Bain, at the on campus presentation. I learned a lot from her about consulting and gained a deeper appreciation for the company.
Why is this a poor example? It doesn’t make a point. The interaction was generic, and it feels like a setup to name-drop.
Here’s a good example:
Bain is not only a prestigious firm, but one that really invests in the development of its consultants. My conversations with Sarah Foster, a current case team leader, reinforced my belief that this separates Bain from the other firms, and is my central reason for applying.

6. Send thank you to recruiter as well not only the interviewers

7. Play some odd ball and make you stand out, search about people’s background so that you can relate.  You might want to ask these people’s friend, and try to see what they like/ where they used to leave/hobbies, etc.

8.Thinking you are the best, don’t put too much pressure on you thinking” I have to get this job offer”  instead, think” I  have the best qualifications among other candidates, and I deserve to have this job offer”

9. Sit straight the whole time, speak little louder than your normal volume, let the interviewer feel you are “present”

10. Practice, practice, practice(my friend who got a full time offer at Deloitte consulting told me he started practicing mock interviews freshman year)
11. Go on internet, and search for good keywords that make you sound smart in that industry.  Don’t have the mindset that I need to review everything, or know everything. People perform interview well, and then learn on the job.

12.  try remember all your answers and practice 50 times for these 4 questions
   a. tell me about yourself
   b. walk me through your resume
   c. why work for us
   d. what do you think we do
13. Be flexible. - Advice from Microsoft Recruiter:
"During the first round of interviews, we will consider you for a broad range of roles.  If you’re being interviewed for a position in software development, we’ll evaluate you for all three of our core development roles: Program Manager, Software Developer, and Software Developer in Test.  If you have specific interest in one of these roles, feel free to tell us.  But keep an open mind: Our interviewers are pros when it comes to matching your abilities to the best fit."
James Decker, a Penn State freshman who will intern with us next summer, considered the first-round interview an opportunity to learn about Microsoft. “I was pretty much interested in any experience working on software,” James explained. ”
Personal story:
When I interviewed with Bank Of America Merrill Lynch GWIM group, they asked me “what are you looking for” -> the hiring manager is only looking for Project Managers, and I said I am looking to become a Business Analyst. This interview got awkward and of course I did not get an offer.   Thus, be flexible is so much better. You can say I am looking for a position where I can learn about technology and use my existing skills to contribute.

14.  Be an early riser and keep working out.  (my Bank of America 2nd round interview started  8:30 a.m.)

15.  Pick the perfect time for your interview : 10 am is the best  or afternoon around 3:30 ish ( theory proven, if its too early, people are not awake yet, if its after lunch, people are sleepy)

16.  Share your passion, and be ready to talk about it(Goldman sachs interview asked about my interest, I talked about cloud computing, and one of the interviewer happened to be an expert. He grilled me with 10 questions about cloud computing. As a result, I bombed my interview)

17.  They want to hear the details behind your resume, comfortable describing each details.   If you claim to be proficient in Java, expect to have those language abilities tested.   If your resume said you’re the president of your local ACM chapter, we may ask about your leadership style.
18. always be prepared.  Microsoft interview; My laptop speaker was broken.   Google interview, my laptop has shitty quality and it impacted my google hangout interview.
19.  case interview tip: Ask questions is helpful for me to dissect the different aspects of questions
20.  Do not interrupt when interviewer are talking
21.  Make sure my answer stick with exactly what the interview is looking for
If they ask me how I would explain, explain, If ask me how to build, tell them how I would  build.
22. When it comes to creative open-ended question, be your self and solve problem naturally. Not being too broad. Be specific and mesh your personality in
They are looking for people who have strong problem solving skill, customer service centric, interst in technology,  strong communication skill that would establish confidence in client site,
23.  Executive search guru Bill Simon told me that lack of preparation in order to tell a purposeful and compelling story about themselves is the number one reason why candidates fail to win over prospective employers in job interviews.
24.  Before your next interview, come armed! Not with resume bullets, but with the belief and conviction that the story you tell will hit your listeners’ hearts and stay top of mind long after you’ve left and the plethora of other candidates attempt to sell themselves on the backs of their resumes alone.
26.  Steps:
a. research,
b. general questions practice
c. behavioral questions and answer brainstorm-> you will you need to be prepared to provide detailed responses including specific examples of your work experiences., Emphasize what you can do to benefit the company rather than just what you are interested in
d. extras(key words of the industry this company is in, news of industry, small talk material(very important, specially for big 4 companies)
27.   能对行业和公司有一定的了解和认识,甚至是对hiring manager的背景做足功课,还是很能加分的,毕竟充分的准备能体现你对面试认真的态度和重视的程度,而体现态度在面试时候非常重要,夸张一点说可以说是决定性因素之一。
28.  Typical schedule after you got the interview invitation
Day 1: find out what type of interview it is, and Google the company and do some research
Day 2: Take all of the information you have about the company and comprise it in a way that you can use in your interview, especially set questions you'll set aside to ask the interviewer. Also, try not to ask cliché questions like what are the training like?  
[Interviewer's name], what are you most proud of about [name of company]? What corporate issues cause you to lose sleep at night?
i.e. when I  interviewed with an IT consulting firm, I asked them what type of software they use to manage their projects
when I interviewed with deloitte consulting, I asked them how they differentiate themselves from Accenture, PwC, etc.
Day 3: till your interview day: These are the days to prepare and practice. Set up mock interviews with friends and mentors
On the Day of interview:
After a good night of sleep, eat nutritious breakfast.

Before you walk in the interview room, do 3 things:
1. adjust body language

2. mindset: Think I am the best.

3. turn on your iphone/recorder to record upcoming interview

24-48 hours after the interview: Send an email thanking and articulating why you're perfect for the job.
24-48 hours after the thank you card: If you discussed any current events during the interview and you happen to come across something in the news, send them the article with a summary of why you think it's relevant. This will show you're smart, articulate and sharing.

29.作为技术职位,最基本的技术面试问题的网站一定要过一遍,e.   面试是非常需要亲身经验积累的,有机会一定要多面试. 每一次面试都会让你更强大. 另外每一次面试之后建议把面试过的题目记录下来,有空复习复习,同一个方向的面试题的重复率还是比较高的,如果onsite面试过5场以上,基本上之后三分之二的题目都能碰到原题或者找到原型。interviewers 面试new grad,最重要的就是看看你在学校已经学过的东西掌握的如何,不期望你真的能懂多少。

很多人都觉得面试就是出题与答题的过程,表面上看确实是,但实际上技术只是考核的一小部分, Onsite面试的4~7轮中,绝大部分都是你即将加入的那个组的组员,也就是可能的日后的同事。所以面试中更多的是看和你讨论时的感受。是否适合一起工作,和这个组的组员是否合得来,然后看看你的做事风格. 我跟某个manager聊当时为什么招我时,他觉得new grad其实都是从零开始慢慢教,技术大概过关,有基本的coding能力就行,然后觉得我aggressive,加上沟通交流非常愉快,所以就录用了。

30. case interview tip.  Drawing is helpful ( deloitte consulting first and second round all had case interviews, use drawings to demonstrate your thought process)
31.公司一般都会留出5~15分钟的时间给你提问,这个时候可以探讨一下公司的前景,比如和竞争对手的比较如何。或者是问问公司的文化如何(其实还是有差别的),这样你在最后选择公司时,他们的回答也是很有参考性的。Ask about那么前几个月的工作会是怎么样的。可以问问行业形势比如竞争对手的情况,可以问问公司扩建情况
32. 面试如果被问到你还有没有在面试其他公司, or if you have an offer already,一定要说出来,这在侧面也是对你能力的证明,同时也会让他们更快的做出决定。

【四】
PERSONAL GROWTH AND MINDSET
1.      Aggressive and proactive – being humble would not do you any good in this culture. Also, being proactive means not being susceptible to the outside environment stimulus.(i.e. don’t be bothered to “no sponsorship” policy constraint. Just stay focused and develop yourself.
2.      Be a smoosher, 禁用词语 up when necessary , especially when talking with the recruiters, it’s all about “facetime”- getting your face outthere
3.      Have a clear objective for every event you go to,=> prenight, instead of spending your time with a bunch of school mates, eating food, talk with as much managers as possible and let them remember your face
4.      Don’t think of immigration status as a constraint. It’s not as hard as you think it is. It’s difficult but it’s not that difficult.  Be consistent and patient.  Start early, build connections via information interviews to (not associate level, not too senior people, but manager level and above) and find out what they do.  During the conversation, ask for advice(people like to be treated as an expert in the field), don’t ask for job and internship directly,  sell yourself well, let him/her know what you are looking for to your career and some of your skill set, follow up with a thank you, and get in touch in holiday seasons
5.      Put your best foot forward, keep learning, trying and good thing will come at the end (this is how you will find your passion)
6.      Always START early, early, and early.  If you are looking for a job, you should start information interviews 2 years early.  Example: I met a person on the train, and he told me that her wife is really good at getting jobs. This is her secret
7.      Talk with the people you sit next to you, your driver for cab, your company on the train. You never know who you going to meet. Take the initiative.

8. When trying to decide a career path, think about what you don’t like, and write them down.  Also, keep trying out new things.

9..关于心态  - 摘抄

被拒绝的不够多,只能说明尝试的还不够多,只能说明还没达到自己的极限.
“想当初刚开始找工作时,我也经历过无论怎么投简历都得不到回应的时期。时间长了,自然会着急,在只有90天OPT失业期找不到工作就得滚蛋的压力下更会焦虑,甚至会开始怀疑自己,否定自己。但是这一段经历,让我的心态发生了质的变化,这些公司拒绝我的简历,那就说明我的简历还有改进的空间,修改了之后继续投。被拒绝的越多,是因为我尝试的更多。如果我一个公司投30份简历还没有回应,我就修改之后再投50份投100份,这样不断的努力下,终于慢慢有了成效。我投Qualcomm这公司投到近100封时,终于拿到了第一个面试,就连Google这样的纯软件公司,在我连着投了近两个月投到60封左右时终于被我的诚意打动,给了我一个面试,他们的邮件里回复道,因为你的continued interest in Google,我们决定给你一个技术电面,看的我热泪盈眶。从最初怎么投都没有回应但一直努力尝试,到后来不断的拿到越来越好公司的面试,让我深深的觉得: 被拒绝的不够多,只能说明尝试的还不够多,只能说明还没达到自己的极限.一次又一次地被拒绝,是你的勇气和进取心的最好证明。它们决定了你可以走多远。
很多人抱怨难找,更多的因素都是自己没有用尽全力,没有足够的思考,或者懒得在每个能改进的小地方改进:简历在投之间有没有修改过二十遍?有没有根据每一场面试的feedback继续修改?是不是每一个公司能投简历的地方全部都已经尝试过了?是不是每一个能帮忙的能了解信息师兄师姐都骚扰过了?是不是对行业的数据分析了如指掌?是不是对行业的职业规划和分工有所研究?glassdoor上的大公司面试题做完而且总结过了吗?听力和口语是不是达到了没有障碍交流的水平?介绍自己project的时候能不能做到impressive?有动脑筋想过面试官们想听到什么答案吗?”
BE PATIENT! 我们能做的其实太多太多,但是实际上大部分人都思考的太少太少,做到的太少太少,有时想偷懒的时候,就以外部环境作为借口。
Quit bitching! 如果没有比别人更努力,没有比别人尝试过更多,没有比别人经历过更多的失败,怎么可能不在淘汰的那一列呢?你无法在面试的时候告诉公司,我比其他人更有潜力,了解的更多,公司凭什么会要你呢?你如何能stand out呢? You have nothing to lose.要有motivation,要aggressive,要stay hungry
10.  Volunteer or work for a company for free if you can’t find an internship
11. “Don’t finish when you are tired, finish when you are done”
12. "The only way to overcome fear is through action”
【五】
POST JOB OFFER
1.  Ask yourself a couple of questions when you trying to decide a job offer
a.       1st question “Can I work 100 hours for this job”
b.      2nd question “ Do I enjoy it and can I make an impact”
c.   what is my value proposition? what do I value the most?
2.  When joining a division for the company, make sure to join the one that has high growth and generate revenue for the firm.  So when the economy’s bad, they don’t cut you. (Always remember you are at the bottom of the list always because sponsorship costs more)

ADDITIONAL READING AND WEBSITES
Additional book:
The seven habits of highly effective people, by Stepehn Covey  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People
Outlier: The story of success, by Malcolm Gladwell
Additional website links:
Behavioral questions prep list:
E&Y job search questions

Keep in touch via linkedin. Feel free to message me any specific questions you have.
最后请记住
"You don't set out to build a wall. You don't say 'I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built.' You don't start there. You say, 'I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid. You do that every single day. And soon you have a wall." -- Will Smith

祝好运,

Jieli Wu
收藏收藏10 分享分享 赞赞赞!赞赞赞! 踩踩踩!踩踩踩! 新浪微博微博分享
回复

使用道具 举报

高级院士

子涵子涵

常驻居民最佳新人

沙发
发表于 2014-5-22 11:54:59 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 wendy_dorothy 于 2014-5-22 11:15 编辑

up up